Harness and Hone Empathy
I used to think
my empathy was my superpower.
I let people into
my life because I noticed suffering before I noticed strategy.
I believed in
potential.
I extended grace
where boundaries were required.
I prioritized
understanding over evaluation.
For a long time,
I confused compassion with loyalty.
I accepted people
exactly as they were, assuming growth would follow.
Sometimes it did.
Often, it didn’t.
Instead, some
took advantage.
Some distorted
truth.
Some depleted my
energy.
Some violated
trust in ways I never anticipated.
Not because I
lacked strength.
Because I led
with openness.
Empathic people
don’t anticipate harm.
We anticipate
humanity.
But here’s what
experience eventually teaches:
Empathy is not an
obligation to tolerate dysfunction.
Kindness is not
consent to disrespect.
Understanding is
not a reason to ignore patterns.
You can
acknowledge someone’s pain without absorbing it.
You can recognize
trauma without assigning yourself responsibility for it.
Some people
aren’t seeking growth.
They’re seeking comfort, validation, or containment for chaos
they refuse to confront.
I carried that
weight longer than I should have.
I overrode
intuition in favor of being generous.
I rationalized
red flags.
I stayed present
when absence would have been healthier.
That cost me
years of my life.
Now I move with
clarity.
I still feel
deeply — but I observe carefully.
I still care —
but I assess behavior.
I still love —
but I protect my internal world.
Discernment now
walks beside empathy.
I don’t confuse
access with intimacy.
I don’t mistake
proximity for alignment.
I don’t abandon
myself to preserve connection.
You can be warm
and discerning.
You can be
compassionate and selective.
You can have a
large heart and precise boundaries.
I didn’t lose my
empathy.
I refined it.
That’s not
bitterness.
That’s strength.
Comments
Post a Comment